Maple Ridge Sheep Farm
Shetland Colors and Markings
Greys to Black (listed from light to dark)
Browns (listed from light to dark)
- Light Grey
- Emsket - dusky bluish-grey
- Shaela - dark steely-grey, like black frost
- Musket - light greyish-brown
- Mioget - light moorit (yellowish-brown)
- Moorit - shades between fawn and dark reddish brown
- Dark Brown
There are also shades between these main
whole colors, so there can be a very pale
fawn, etc. Select the closest color from the
above list. If uncertain, please use the more
general "moorit" for varying shades of brown
and "grey" for shades of grey.
- Bersugget - irregular patches of different colors; variegated.
- Bielset - having a complete circular band of different color around neck.
- Bioget - with white back and darker sides and belly, or conversely.
- Blaeget - having a lighter shade on the outer part of the wool fiber, especially in moorit and dark brown sheep.
- Blaget - white with irregular dark patches resembling ground partly snow-covered.
- Blettet - with white spots on nose and top of head.
- Bleset - dark colored with white stripe down forehead, or conversely.
- Brandet - having stripes of another color across body.
- Bronget - dark colored with light-colored breast, or conversely.
- Flecket - white with large black or brown patches (not as well defined as in Jacob sheep).
- Fronet - black-spotted with white head and black spots around eyes.
- Gulmoget - having light under parts with dark-colored body; opposite of katmoget. Mouflon pattern.
- Ilget - white with spots of a different color (usually grey or black).
- Iset - dark colored with many white fibres giving bluish hue from a distance.
- Katmoget - having a light colored body (usually grey or moorit) with dark belly and legs, and moget facial markings .
- Katmollet - having light-colored nose and jaws.
- Kraiget - having neck (usually only front part) of different color from rest of body.
- Kranset - dark colored with white around eyes and neck.
- Krunet - dark colored with white patch on top of head.
- Marlit - various shades of different colors, mottled,
- Moget - see katmoget and gulmoget. Moget-faced is applied to the characteristic dark and light patches usually around the mouth, eyes and ears.
- Mirkface - white with dark patches on face.
- Mullit - white with dark nose and jaws, or conversely.
- Sholmet - of any color, other than white, with a white face.
- Skeget - stripes of different colors on sides.
- Smirslet - dark colored with white around the mouth, head or neck.
- Sokket - with legs of a different color from that of the body.
- Sponget - dark colored with small white spots,or conversely.
- Snaelit - light-colored body with snow-white face.
- Yuglet - having color around eyes different from remainder of body.
Return back to the home page